So, half the reason I’m having people for dinner on Friday is to spend the night with friends and all that mushy crap. The other half is so that I can go all out on decorations so that I have bloggable activities for you. So I hope you’re happy.
I’m actually not super happy with how this turned out, so I might try to do it again soon. But it was super easy, so it’s not like it’s going to be hard.
I happened to be in possession of a few pads of pastel rainbow coloured scrapbook paper (a thin cardstock thickness). And I am not a scrapbooker. That is a little intense even for me. I also have this fancy schmancy new paper cutter that I got for Christmas, because neither the Pie nor my parents will trust me with a guillotine paper cutter (which, I must point out, is ridiculous, because I used to use one for a living and never cut myself, but anyway …). I also have a stapler. Nothing fancy about it, save perhaps that it is pink. I’d tell you that it belongs to the Pie but that would be a falsehood. It’s mine. My pink stapler. SURPRISE.
*Ahem* Anyway. Each sheet of paper was 8″ square so that made my life easy.
I sliced it into 1″ wide strips — see how the sheet is double-sided with two different colours? I like that.
Anyway, fold each strip in half, like so.
Then bring the ends in towards each other. You can just fasten the ends and the heart looks a little bit more pretty, but it’s not as structurally strong.
So I brought the ends all the way into the fold, gave it a pinch …
… and stapled it all together.
And did that a bunch of times.
While Grenadier ignored me.
Or pretended to ignore me.
I did it with a few more pieces of paper, 8 hearts per colour. Gren subtly got closer and closer.
Until, like the secret cat he actually is, he was lying on my hearts. Well, he’s always got my heart in any case.
By the time I’d finished with all the colours, he’d gotten bored and gone away again.
So now I had these hearts, 48 in total.
Can I make a wreath with 48 hearts? Yes, but it looks terrible. And is gigantic.
So I started putting them together in chains, like this. I used plain clear adhesive tape for this.
Very festive. I didn’t pay attention to which inside-outside hearts were where and I like the non-pattern-ness of it. Is that a word?
This is how I wanted it to look originally, and this is all taped together in a lovely fashion.
However as soon as I lifted it, it immediately collapsed under its own weight. Quel dommage!
So I did a more compact version that mirrored the shape of the wee paper hearts themselves. And taped the crap out of it so it would stay in the shape I wanted it to.
I think there’s a little bit too much tape showing pretty much everywhere and the wreath bears a strong resemblance to a pretzel but it’s a start.
***EDIT: So I tried again, with the same number of hearts, but this time I stapled them so they looked more conventional. Then I used a hole punch to make a way to string them onto fishing twine.
And now I have a garland. I kind of like it.
Forgive the pictures. The dining room is the darkest room in the house.