Doodle’s wedding is coming up in just a few weeks (almost exactly a month from the date on which I am actually writing this post), so it’s crunch time in terms of getting her and the Cyclist’s afghan put together and sent off in the mail (I am not hefting a giant blanket all the way to Portland in my luggage).
We have our old box spring set up in my office, and, when our new mattress arrives (hopefully any day now), we will be adding the mattress on top and our guest room will be ready to go. For now, however, it serves as a handy surface to work on that is safe from corgi incursions. So here are all the piles of cut-out squares and rectangles, all in the basic order in which I want them to be. The piece in the middle is my “keystone”, and has many of the colours of the rest of the blanket in one small square.
So we started at the keystone, laying things out so they spread from the middle out towards the edges.
The Pie did most of this layout on his own, because he’s better at Tetris than I am and his arms are longer.
Although the corgi did help a bit. By keeping our pieces of wool warm until we needed them. Honestly, no matter how small a piece of fabric is, be it a sock or a giant duvet, this dog will find it and lie on it.
And here it is in all its glory, almost exactly the size of the bed itself. It will of course be significantly smaller once we take the seam allowances into account.
So now all that remains is to sew it all together, which is what I’m working on now.
I’ve been removing the sections of it that form discrete blocks on their own — that is, in these sections there are no pieces sticking out, and they form their own squares or rectangles when put together.
I figure it will make it easier to sew the larger blocks to each other when it’s ready to go.
I used a zigzag stitch on the machine, just to ensure that if there were any gaps in the wool the thread would still catch on somewhere.
So that’s the back of one block.
And the front.
And then that block can be sewn to another block.
And so on, and so forth. The sewing is actually coming along really quickly, despite the challenges of sewing different thicknesses of fabric together. I started yesterday (which is the 13th for me), and I’m over half done just sewing different blocks together. I’m starting to run out of discrete oblongs and I’m going to have to venture into the more complex polygons at some point shortly. Then it will be a simple matter of putting them all together.
I have plenty of pieces left over from the original cutting-out of shapes, and because this sewing is going so well, I think I will end up making the backing out of a random assortment of the same. Stay tuned!