Laundry Loft Back to the Drawing Board

Bless my husband for being willing to take my directions on this and for being tall enough to do so.  Also bless him because it’s his birthday today and he’s 28.

We did, however, encounter two very major problems in our attempts to put the shelf up on its brackets.

The first is that the wall above the fuse box is, predictably, full of wires and the Pie was unwilling to have himself electrocuted today.

The second, and perhaps the more cogent to our purposes, is that for some reason, despite the fact that I measured it several times and it always came up as slightly smaller than the space I needed to put it in, and despite the fact that I managed to get it in place all by myself less than a week ago, THE BLOODY THING DOESN’T FIT.

We can’t get it turned sideways and lying flat.  The Pie thinks that the particle board has expanded in the recent spate of ridiculous humidity that we’ve had.  I remain skeptical.

So we’re rethinking our approach.  Stay tuned.

Advertisement

Laundry Loft Part Two

Enough thinking about my plan.  Today I did it.  Or at least part of it.

Today I dismantled the busted old changing table that I told you about back in May.My idea here is to take that top piece, with the little pieces on the front and back, and use that whole thing for the shelf.  That way I won’t be able to push anything off the back of the shelf and neither will anything fall off the front, onto my poor little head.  The width of that piece is only one half-inch narrower than the distance between walls in the “laundry room” so it should fit nicely.

Of course, to get the top piece off I had to dismantle the whole darned thing. And really one of the handiest things for a job like this where you have to work in confined spaces, and, let’s face it, you’re feeling a little lazy, is the ratchet screwdriver.  And mine has a nifty deal where you can turn the handle to different angles to make your life easier. 

First I slid out the drawer.  I kept it intact because I might be able to use it for something in the future.

Then I took off the little magnet thing that would have held the doors shut had the whole thing not been busted.  Check out that water damage.  Lovely.

Next went the door hinges.

The most trouble I had was with those funny half-screw things that you stick in other things to make other screws tighter.  If you’ve ever made anything from IKEA, you’ll know what I am talking about.  Getting those out of the tiny little holes was a real pain.

Then I pried/pulled/tore off the back, using an Allen-key shaped slot screwdriver (like a tiny crowbar) and my own two feet and hands (two of each of course).

Finally I could pull the sides apart enough to remove the middle pieces.

Then I figured I might as well dismantle the whole thing, if only so it would store better.

This is the stuff I am planning to use for the laundry loft.  The two gray squares I scrounged out of the garage.I plan to have this finished this week, though it will take the help of the Pie’s long arms and legs.  So stay tuned.

%d bloggers like this: