The scraps for this came from the edges of the trimmed Fat Quarter Napkins I made.
I braided the scraps together, tying on new strips as I ran out of length.
It took a while.
Then I rolled up the braid to keep it from tangling.
I had some fun shooting the braid with my macro lens.
Then I started sewing it together in a circular pattern.
I just used a regular whip stitch. Nothing fancy.
I kept going …
… and going …
… and going. I even stood at the front of the class on three separate occasions and sewed this while my students were writing their final exams. Fortunately, they already thought I was weird, so this was nothing new to them.
The finished product was a little wonky and tended to curve in on itself, so I got it good and wet with hot water, squeezed it out, stretched it to the shape I wanted it, and then laid it between two towels under a heavy board for the night.
I ended up with this cheerful miniature rag rug, which would make a nice placemat for the centre of any table.