As you may know, the Pie and I are hitting up two weddings this summer. In June, Doodle marries the Cyclist, and in July, my big brother Krystopf weds the indomitable Atlas. Both are getting home-made blankets from yours truly as a wedding gift.
The Atlas blanket is coming along well, though it never ceases to amaze me how many times I can screw up a simple knit/purl design. As much as I try, I doubt I will ever be a practised knitter, though I am getting better at going back and fixing my mistakes. And fortunately this is something that I can bring with me when I’m traveling, and something I can do while I’m watching television at night.
With these two strips you can start to see the sort of “patchwork” effect that I was going for, with the alternating colours and alternating knit and purled sides.
The place where I bought this gorgeous wool, A Good Yarn, has closed the doors of its physical business and the owner has moved to Halifax to focus on the internet side of the show, so I had to order the next batch of skeins online. Fortunately, Tanis Fiber Arts has a really comprehensive website and such beautiful colours. The new skeins I ordered just came in yesterday.
In biodegradable packaging, no less!
If you are curious, this is the Yellow Label DK Weight, which is good for pretty much anything, and the colours I have used are Plum, Olive, Deep Sea, and Midnight, from left to right. If I knew how to use them properly and/or could afford them, I would buy the whole stock.
Doodle’s afghan is also progressing. That huge box of seamless sweaters has been reduced now to a blue recycling bag full of carefully cut out oblongs, and a green garbage bag full of scraps of wool. I don’t know if I will be able to find a use for all the scraps, but I will try. If you have any suggestions let me know. I also have a small pile of cardboard cutting templates I need to find a place for.
I have learned that when cutting felted wool with a rotary cutter you end up with a tremendous amount of static-charged wool lint. Which ends up everywhere. And doesn’t go away. I also learned that you can loosen the blade on your rotary cutter so it rolls more easily and you don’t have to press as hard. Of course I didn’t discover that until near the end.
I may go in a slightly different direction with the afghan, now that it’s all cut out. I will still do the colour progression on the “right” side as originally planned, but, depending on the number of oblongs I have, I might just randomly sew the rest of them together and have that go underneath, as a sort of double blanket, rather than sewing the wool blanket to a fabric backing. We shall see. As well, given the scale of this thing, I think it might be a better idea to sew the whole thing by machine instead of using the by-hand blanket stitch, which, while very secure, takes for-freaking-ever. The question will be if my machine can handle it, as some of the wool is super thick. I will keep you posted.