Why do I keep doing sewing projects? I HATE sewing! I promise you that the boxfish floor cushion is coming soon. LongJohn has been remarkably uncooperative these past two weeks so I’ve had to pick and choose my grown-up activities carefully.
In the meantime, here’s a sewing needle case I made out of stuff I already had and was already using. As a needle case. Like, I had a box I was keeping sewing needles in already. And now I’m just keeping MORE needles in it. But it’s, like, organized and stuff.
Because, you see, I have this to currently stash my sewing needles.
And because I’m me, this happens to the needles that I put in there. And that causes all kinds of problems, like making the wheel stick and having needles randomly stab me. So that’s terrible.
This is my Altoids tin that I’ve had since probably high school.
It currently holds my weird sewing needles and a bunch of other sewing stuff like stitch rippers.
Ideally I’d like it to hold all my weird needles, a stitch ripper, a needle threader, and a wee pair of scissors. If the measuring tape fits, then even better.
This is a magnet from my dentist. It’ll work to hold the big needles in place.
I want something to hold the little tools onto the lid, but something that will allow me to change up the tools as events warrant.
A little hot glue later …
The velcro tabs allow me the flexibility of sticking whatever it is I want to the inside of the lid. It may not look pretty, but it works.
Traditional needle books are basically just felt books all sewn up – but that doesn’t prevent the needles from being stabby if you hold the book wrong. So that’s where the metal tin comes into play.
I cut out eight felt “pages” for my book the size of a business card (2″ x 3″). In the end I used only six of the eight because otherwise the lid wouldn’t have closed on the box.
Then I cut out wee tabs to sew across each page to hold the needles. You can put the needles straight through the page if you like but it increases the risk of stabbiness.
Then I sewed them on. The page with the two tabs is for my weird needles. Nobody ever said I could sew in the straight line.
Then I sewed the pages together like an accordion, to make the pages sit flatter inside the tin than they would have if I’d sewn all one side like a book.
Then we stick in our needles, weird ones first:
Then the big huge ones …
… then I had the monumental task of SORTING all the little ones I had. Ugh. This is super not easy when you have severe carpal tunnel …
In they go.
The finished “book,” from one side,
Then I needed to snazz up the outside of the tin. Something not super-cutesy, and something visible. Because my other issue with those wee plastic cases is I’m constantly losing them when they slide behind or underneath something else.
I had some fun with craft paint and crackle medium to come up with this effect. If you’ve never used crackle medium, give it a try. It’s fun.
Here’s my uncooperative baby being a butt while I wait for this to dry.
And the finished ensemble! I ended up putting the stitch ripper in the bottom where it fits perfectly. The measuring tape alas did not fit.
The pages pull out to reveal the needles you want.
And at the bottom are all the big huge ones.
I’m trying to consolidate a lot of the crafty/sewy/knitty stuff that I have as I go through our basement (post on THAT to follow), so this is a good start. Convenient to use and definitely un-stabby.
2 thoughts on “Quick and Dirty Sewing Needle Case”
Genius. I have a ton of Altoids boxes that I never get rid of because I’m sure I’ll find a purpose for them. This would be perfect. Of corse, I’ll probably take a couple of shortcuts and just use a long strip of felt instead of making pages and label it with painters tape instead of painting it. I’m lazy these days!
I thought about just folding it but then it had a habit of springing out at me. With stabby stuff. But I hear you on the lazy …