These are all over the internet, but I think they’re totally badass anyway. They’re quite cute, if you make them right, but it was late and we were tired so we made them a little wrong. But I like ’em even so.
We start with some plastic animals I got at Target, and which I sprayed copper because I thought we were going to do this differently than we did.
Then you take your animals, clamp them solidly to a surface, and saw those kitties in half. This ain’t no magic trick.
Use a file to smooth out the rough edges.
Then you measure your podiums. We made our bookends out of this nice solid, heavy piece of wood, so it would actually hold books up and stuff when stuck together in an L shape. Remember: measure twice, cut once.
The Pie is afraid of table saws, so he stood at the other end of the garage while I risked life and limb to get these pieces of wood cut.
But the only thing I cut was the wood, which is a bonus. We used a fine sandpaper to smooth off the rough corners.
Here we are checking to see if we measured correctly. Turns out that we didn’t, and the tiger ones were a total failure. No matter: let’s press on.
Here’s what they will sort of look like when they’re done.
Using a drill press to start off the screw holes. I’m wearing mittens because it was like -29°C outside and my garage isn’t heated.
Screwing in the screws. Because the wood was so thick we used decking screws, which are super long.
Spraying. I decided I wanted gold animals, not copper, so they got another coat of spray paint.
Ready to glue. I used GOOP, an all-purpose adhesive that dries clear and is super strong.
You lay the glue on and give it 2 minutes to cure before attaching it to the other surface.
I left these overnight to dry.
The next day I cut little felt squares for the bottoms so they didn’t scratch any surfaces.
And here it is completed. Please ignore the fact that the one side is taller than the other. And that they’re currently not holding up any books. Late. Tired. Cold.