Can you believe it? I’ve been Doing It Myself for THREE FREAKING YEARS now! Well, it’s been longer than that, but today marks the third anniversary of when I started putting my foibles and failures (and too many pictures of my dog) up on the internet for you to enjoy. And I hope you’ve enjoyed it!
How to commemorate this, though? I’ve been doing a lot of cooking, so I didn’t really want to do that. And because Christmas is over and we’re moving in a couple months I don’t have any real crafty/fixy projects on the horizon. But. I saw this back on Etsy a year or so ago and I thought, I could TOTALLY make that myself. It won’t be as GOOD, mind you, but I could totally do it. So I’m gonna. Here goes.
Because I can never do anything in half measures, I decided to make THREE bowls instead of just the one, and they’re gonna be nesting bowls.
So I needed three bowls of approximately the same shape but different sizes. Fortunately I have three stainless steel ones that will do just fine.
You also need a barrier between the bowl and the paste. You can use plastic wrap but I didn’t want to deal with wrinkles so I used petroleum jelly, which is the only thing I didn’t have on hand and had to buy.
I still have stacks and stacks of newspapers to use, and so I tore a bunch of those up into thin strips, following the grain of the paper.
And you need paste as well, obviously. I went with the same recipe I used for the magnificent and popular papier mâché helicopter piñata I made a few years ago, which is 2 cups flour to 3 cups water. BAM.
Make sure to spread newspaper or drop cloths or garbage bags on your work area so you don’t have to deal with errant splashes of dried paste later on. This, incidentally, is a good project to do while watching movies/television on a bad-weather day. I curled up with Supernatural, which is not a very good series, but that Jensen Ackles is pretty enough to make it worth watching, and the plot is never too heavy that I have to keep my eyes glued to the screen a hundred percent of the time.
Start by smearing the outside of your bowl with petroleum jelly. Try to put it on as smoothly as possible, but make sure it’s pretty thick at the same time. If you’re using plastic wrap, try to avoid too many wrinkles, and wrap the plastic around the edges of the bowl as well.
Then have at it, pasting up your strips of newsprint and sticking them to your bowl form. Do a layer or two, allow it to dry completely, then do another one. I did a layer, waited an hour, then did another layer and let that dry overnight, then repeated the process the next day.
This project will definitely take you a couple of days, so make sure to keep your paste tightly sealed when you’re not using it.
When the bowl is as thick as you want it to be, and it has dried all the way through, use a thin knife to carefully pry the bowl from the other bowl.
Wipe off any excess petroleum jelly or peel away the plastic wrap. I found that a cotton tea towel did the best job at getting all the petroleum jelly off.
Trim the edges of the bowl if you like with a sharp pair of scissors.
I left mine to cure another day like this, after sealing the open edges with some white glue.
I flipped the glue over and discovered that it was actually called Troll Booger Glue. I can’t begin to tell you how delighted I was by that.
Now, the bowls on Etsy were lined with gold leaf, but I ain’t got the time nor the money for that. I do, however, have some copper-coloured spray paint. So I’m going to use that (taking all the necessary precautions, of course).
I couldn’t find my breathing mask so I went with a bandana. The Pie took one look at me and started laughing so I thought I’d share.
If you’re using spray paint on your bowls, make sure to do the inside of the bowl first. That way you can avoid getting the wrong colour on the wrong side of the bowl.
Once the inside is done and dried, flip the bowls upside down and do the outside, being careful to direct your spray so it doesn’t get underneath the bowls. I used blue, white, and black.
It took a couple coats to make the lines of print disappear. I thought I had some white spray paint but it turned out that I only had gesso.
And the gesso only worked so well so I ended up spraying over it with blue. After that was fully cured, I gave it a once-over with some spray varnish, for added sheen and protection.
And that’s it. Not bad, not bad at all.