This was one of the more time-consuming DIY Christmas projects the Pie and I had on our list, and one I couldn’t manage all by myself, so I waited for him to come home before we tackled this in earnest.
This patchwork quilt is an adaptation of a project from Martha Stewart. Instead of using old sport coats, I had actual bolts of fine wool that I cut up, and my quilt is probably twice the size of the Martha version.
I then cut those strips into approximate 5″ squares (when am I ever exact?).Now to lay out your quilt in the pattern of your preference. We did repeating colours, in a 12 x 18 square layout. Pile up the squares for each of the 12 18-square rows in order, just to get them out of the way.Sew your squares together with about a half-inch seam allowance.
Then have your lovely husband press all those seams flat open.Then, making sure your top ends all line up with each other (because really, nothing else will), sew all the strips together with the same seam allowance. Make sure that the other seams are sewn flat.Then you can prevail again upon that sunshine of your life to do some more ironing and flatten out the long seams as well.Now you have the top part of your quilt.So now you need a lining and a backing. We used an old flannel sheet for the lining and a plain cotton broadcloth for the back. Cut the sheet and broadcloth to size and lay everything out. The flannel sheet should be on the bottom, with the broadcloth in the middle, right-side-up, and then the quilt top on the top, right-side-down, like so:
Make sure everything is as lined up as possible and pin it all together. If you are me, one of the edges of your quilt will be a ragged mass of unevenness, where all the square strips end at different spots. Don’t fret about this — we will do some fixing later.
Stick your hand into the giant sewn pocket you have created, between the broadcloth backing and the woolen front and turn the whole thing inside out.
Now simply trim the uneven edge until it’s straight and fold it into the pocket before sewing it closed. I then went around all the edges and sewed them in a similar manner so they all matched.And there you have it folks: a cozy quilt for two.